Creative Writing Scholarships
Are you planning to let your creativity flow by studying creative writing, and need some additional funding? Check out these creative writing scholarships on offer around the world, broken down by country…
To study in the UK
- Birkbeck University of London Sophie Warne Fellowships – One fee reduction scholarship award of £1,750 is available for an outstanding student admitted onto the MA Creative Writing program at the university. Home/EU students admitted to this course can also apply for the Aitken Alexander Associates Scholarship and the Kit de Waal Scholarship.
- Queen’s University Belfast Seamus Heaney Centre for Poetry – A bursary scholarship of £10,000 is available for an international student studying an MA in Poetry at the university. There is also a £5,000 bursary scholarship available for a UK or Irish student studying a full time MA in Creative Writing or Drama.
- Manchester Writing School at Manchester Metropolitan University Joyce Nield Scholarship – One scholarship is available for an outstanding student from a non-UK Commonwealth country to study an MFA or MA in Creative Writing at the university.
- Sarah Quinn BAME Writing Scholarship at Curtis Brown Creative – One fully paid scholarship is available for a talented BAME (Black, Asian, or Minority Ethnic) student to study Curtis Brown Creative’s Writing YA and Children’s Fiction course. As part of your application you’ll need to send the first 3,000 words of a novel in progress, plus a synopsis.
- University of East Anglia School of Literature, Drama and Creative Writing Postgraduate scholarships – Various creative writing scholarships available to study a Masters in Creative Writing at the school.
- University of Edinburgh William Hunter Sharpe Memorial Scholarship – A merit-based scholarship available to postgraduate students who have been accepted to study a full time MSc in Creative Writing or Playwriting.
To study in the US
- Columbia College Chicago – Various creative writing scholarships available for students at all study levels to study at the college. (Simply select ‘Creative Writing’ from the ‘program of study’ box to view them.)
- Chatham University – Various assistantships and fellowships are available to study an MFA in Creative Writing at the university.
- Mystery Writers of America Helen McCloy Scholarship – Two US$500 scholarships are available for aspiring mystery writers (who must be US citizens or permanent residents) to offset the costs of a creative writing workshop, seminar or university course.
- Penguin Annual Signet Classic Scholarship Essay Contest – Five creative writing scholarships are available for US high school seniors and juniors to further their education. To enter this year’s competition you’ll need to write an essay on a topic related to a novel.
- Pine Manor College MFA in Creative Writing – Various creative writing scholarships to study at the college, including the need-based ‘Writers Helping Writers’ scholarships and the Jacqueline Woodson Fellowship, awarded to a student of African or Caribbean descent.
- Sierra Nevada College MFA in Creative Writing scholarships – Merit- and need-based creative writing scholarships are available to study at the college.
- UCLA Extension Phyllis Gebauer Scholarship in Writing – Up to six scholarships are available annually to study a writing program at UCLA Extension. Only US citizens or eligible green card holders can apply.
- University of Washington Department of English – Various creative writing scholarships are available at all study levels, including some aimed at current undergraduate or graduate students from any subject.
- Ursinus College Creative Writing Award – An annual $33,000 award is available for ‘creative writers of outstanding originality and potential’ to study at this liberal arts college in Pennsylvania.
To study in Canada
- University of Guelph Graduate Scholarships – Various scholarships are available to study an MFA in Creative Writing at the university, most of which are open to both domestic and international students.
- Western University Faculty of Arts and Humanities – Awards include the Lillian Kroll Prize in Creative Writing, which awards CA$375 to an undergraduate student who shows a developing talent in creative writing. Canadian students can also apply for the Marguerite R. Dow Canadian Heritage Award.
To study in Australia and New Zealand
- National Library of Australia Creative Arts Fellowship for Australian Writing – A fellowship of AU$10,000 is available for an Australian student who is undertaking a writing project to study a residency at the library for a minimum of four weeks.
- Victoria University of Wellington International Institute of Modern Letters – Various creative writing scholarships to study at the university, mainly at master’s level.
- The Reedsy National Creative Writing Scholarship – A scholarship of US$1,000 is available for a student from the US, Canada or Australia who is currently enrolled in (or accepted for) a program in one of the same three countries. To apply you will need to submit the first chapter of an original novel.
- This is Writing Creative Writing Scholarship – A writing contest with a prize of up to US$400, available for students currently studying a creative writing course in the US, UK, Australia, New Zealand or Canada at any study level.
This article was originally published in April 2016. It was updated in August 2018.
This article was originally published in August 2018 . It was last updated in March 2023